The four day weekend has finally arrived. PHEW! Royalist or Republican, everyone loves a holiday. How you spend it is up to you but if you are lacking inspiration, here’s a few ideas that won’t break the bank. Sunday, the day of the official Thames Jubilee Pageant and the fourth annual Big Lunch, is shaping up to be THE BIG ONE. We’ve compiled a handy list of all the best places to catch the flotilla if you are so inclined. If you aren’t planning on heading down to the river, there are chances a-plenty to break bread with a neighbour (check the nearest tree for details of your local street party). If that just won’t cut it this weekend (nb. we don’t endorse this lack of community spirit), then you can always crash someone else’s.
– If you’re based south, head to Bellenden Road in Peckham where the street of galleries, cafes and boutiques will be erupting into its own Big Lunch in an open and arty affair.
– If you fancy yourself as a bit of a Stokey dweller, then N16 will be a hive of activity, with the Stoke Newington Lit Fest jostling for space on Church Street with Sunday’s Big Lunch. The Street Party has a 50’s theme, so dig out your vintage frocks, if your that way inclined.
– A little further north, Holloway are muscling in on the act, their 10 day arts festival coincides nicely with the Jubilee Bank Holiday. If you missed out on wristbands for the Book Club Street Party then have no fear as the Hackney Colliery Band will be warming up their brass in N7 at the Mayton Street Festival on Saturday. Head to Whittington Park on Sunday for the 4th annual big day out.
– Hildreth Street in Balham is also embracing the 50’s theme and coming over all vintage with its street party offering. You can bag a bargain, get a makeover at its 50’s salon or go the way of many a desperate housewife at the Mother’s Ruin gin and tea bar.
– If you fancy something altogether grander, then perhaps Piccadilly is the place for you. Stretching from Piccadilly Circus to St James’s Street, with participating local businesses including The Ritz and Fortnum & Mason. If you want a seat at the table, register at picadillybigjubileelunch.org, and you will be allocated an hour long time slot to scoff your sandwiches. Ellie Clayton
That is by no means all folks, check out the full list of things going on over the weekend.