Photo: Paul Nuttall.
So, it’s August bank holiday, and it’s chucking it down. But is that such a bad thing? Don’t be so sure. Here are 35 reasons the rain beats the sun every time…
1) Rain is better for snogging in:
2) Or being alone in:
3) Dancing in:
4) And singing in:
5) 8 out of 10 cats agree rain is the best weather for funky robot music:
6) Rainbows (double or otherwise) all the way. So intense:
7) Without rain, no umbrellas. Without umbrellas, no Umbrella, ella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh?
8) Rain can bring us closer together:
9) And you can feel much better about forgetting to book those festival tickets:
10) It complements even the cheesiest sentimental thought:
11) You can put out your hands, whisper ‘come to me, my beauties’ and imagine your magical powers are dragging water out of the sky:
12) Or imagine being a very tiny person and running around screaming ‘WE’VE GOT INCOMING!’
13) Rain really annoys wasps:
14) You can kiss the rain when you’re not near Billie Myers:
15) Rain just about qualifies as lift-journey conversation:
16) And makes pigeons look funny:
17) You can also verify duck-related idioms without having to throw your own water at them:
18) Guess which raindrops will make it to the bottom of the window first:
19) And picture your life as a moody, noir epic:
20) As for Prince, he only wants to see you laughing in the Purple Rain! Purple Rain, Purrrrple Raaaaaaaain:
21) Puddles can look cool:
22) And you can demonstrate what a bad-ass you are:
23) Plus, you totally lied when you were seventeen:
24) Rain makes working inside feels cosy rather than prison-like:
25) And going for a quick jog becomes incredibly heroic:
26) It’s necessary to stave off drought, or so the authorities would have us believe:
27) Plus, you’re 34% more likely to have a declaration of love reciprocated:
28) It’s by far the best weather to unleash your repressed sexuality:
29) And you’d look crazy screaming at the heavens on a nice sunny day:
30) It’s possible evidence that you’re actually the star of your own reality TV show:
31) If you did this pose in the sun, people would just think you were looking at the floor:
32) And if you did this in the sunshine, it wouldn’t be interesting at all:
33) Anyway, don’t forget, it’s the most Londony possible weather:
34) So it’s best to expect it:
35) And try to have a good time!
Trying to stay dry? Check out our guide to rainy day London.
Bonus fact: that nice smell after it rains in the summer? It has a name: petrichor.