Over the past few months, the buzz of American politics has been swarming our newspapers, talk shows and even our local pubs. Whether you’re interested or not (though you really ought to be), it’s been hard to escape the battle from across the pond. Today will see the conclusion of democracy at its finest (ahem) and the world will be introduced to the next President of the United States of America. Until then, let’s look back at some of the highlights of Barack Obama and Mitt Romney’s campaigns, including some of the finest social media memes the world has ever seen… probably:
10. Mitt Romney managed to get children interested in politics, but probably for the wrong reasons. After declaring his love for Big Bird, Romney went on to say that PBS funding will be cut. The conclusion? Sesame Street could be no more.
We couldn’t stand for that now could we?
9. The parties decided to get a bit sexy this year and while Barack Obama decided to take the laid back approach:
Paul Ryan tried a little too hard:
8. Obama couldn’t keep up the relaxed act and was really quite ready to give you his number:
7. While Mitt Romney took on the other popular song of the summer:
And provided many women the perfect halloween costume:
But back to politics.
5. Celebrities got involved:
From the smart and funny:
To the slightly embarrassed:
To the downright bizarre:
4. Clint Eastwood interrogated Barack Obama at the Republican National Convention… well, a chair that represented him at least:
Which led to the internet sensation, ‘Eastwooding’:
3. Home crafts and fashion took a political swing from amazing knitting patterns:
To Romney looking like a proper muppet:
2. Oh go on then, let’s look at Romney being a muppet once more:
1. The next President of the United States will be announced in the wee hours of the morning. Until then, we’ve got our fingers crossed.
BONUS ITEM: The unsung hero of the election, Vermin Supreme, God bless him: