Hurray for May! It means maypoles, short sleeves (sometimes), and of course, Whisky Month. Look out for the London Whisky Weekender, a three-day festival at Oval Space in E2 from May 16-18 celebrating all things whisky. Highlights include an ‘East End’ whisky cocktail bar on the terrace, from the peeps at Lounge Bohemia, a special tasting of rare pre-WWII whiskies up on the rooftop (overlooking one of the last remaining Blitz sites in the capital); plus street food pop-ups and live music. In total, there will be more than 20 distilleries presenting over 120 different varieties (with most samples included in the price). For tickets (from £20), see ovalspace.co.uk/events.
If that’s not enough whisky for you, make your way over to Farringdon’s Scotch Malt Whisky Society. Throughout Whisky Month, this private members’ club will open to the public for a series of events celebrating the wee dram. ‘Clans and Drams’, for instance, supports the idea that you should choose a whisky based on its flavours (rather than by region). So you’ll be asked to choose one of 12 styles (from ‘old and dignified’, to ‘spicy and sweet’), and will then be assigned your ‘clan’, or ‘family’ of whiskies, for sampling. For more info, or to book, see smws.co.uk/clans&drams.
Want more? Find London’s best whisky bars.
Like yourself a nice wee dram? We’ve got a treat for you!
We’re giving away four prizes consisting of five very nice bottles of whisky for each winner (including the likes of AnCnoc Rutter, Rock Town Rye, Tiffon VSOP, Berry Brothers Clynelish 1997, Paul John Edited and Kilchoman Machir Bay) and two weekend passes to the The London Whisky Weekender for each winner happening on May 16-18.
To be in with the chance of winning, simply answer the question below by midnight on Wednesday May 14.
Terms and conditions apply. Entrants must be aged 18 or over. By entering this competition you agree to receive relevant communications from Time Out including news, events, offers and competitions. This competition will close at midnight Wednesday May 14. Please drink responsibly. Find out more at drinkaware.co.uk.
Full terms and conditions:
1. No purchase necessary.
2. One entry per person, no bulk or third party entries.
3. Postal entries for competitions should be sent with your name, address, daytime telephone number, competition you are entering and answer to: Time Out Offers, Universal House, 251 Tottenham Court Road, London W1T 7AB.
4. Email entries for competitions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating in the subject header the competition you are entering.
5. Competitions are open to all UK residents (over the age of 18 in alcohol, tobacco or travel-related competitions, or in other cases as stated) except employees of Time Out, the companies or organisations with whom the competition or offer is being run, their agents or anyone directly connected with the promotion.
6. No responsibility can be accepted for entries lost, delayed, mislaid or damaged in the post or offered for delivery insufficiently stamped.
7. Proof of delivery will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Prizes are as stated only and no cash alternatives will be given. However the promoter has the full and free right to alter arrangements or prizes should circumstances change.
8. The winning answers and the names of prizewinners will be made available to those who send an SAE to the competition entry address. The decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. All entries and copyright in them automatically become the property of Time Out.
10. All entrants to competitions and offers are deemed to have accepted these rules and agreed to be bound by them and agree to co-operate in any publicity that may arise.
11. The closing date for receipt of entries is as stated for each individual competition in the magazine or online. The winner(s) will be drawn at random from all valid entries, and will be notified by telephone, email or post within two weeks of the closing date.
12. By providing your email address and entering this competition you agree to receive relevant email communications from Time Out including news, events, offers and competitions.