‘Friends’ celebrated its twentieth birthday this week – it’s now two decades since the first ever episode aired in the US (and dear god, that makes us feel so old). Comedy Central UK polled its viewers to reveal the nation’s 20 favourite episodes – here’s the full list, by way of the valuable life lessons imparted by each.
20) Paying a bill resentfully? Get one over on your creditor by cursing the money first!
[The One With All The Poker]
19) When you’ve done someone wrong, don’t make a paltry apology. Make a poultry apology.
[The One with the Thanksgiving Flashbacks]
18) Confront injustice, and you’ll feel better afterwards.
[The One With Ross’s Sandwich]
17) A wide vocabulary is guaranteed to impress the opposite sex.
[The One Where Eddie Won’t Go]
16) If there’s a possibility for sex, you can cancel plans with friends. Or, put another way…
[The One with All The Cheesecakes]
15) The key to making an impression on the dancefloor is neither feeling the rhythm nor loosening the hips. It’s PREPARATION.
[The One With The Routine]
14) Grammar MATTERS.
[The One With The Jellyfish]
13) Don’t be afraid to experiment in the kitchen.
[The One Where Ross Got High]
12) Always be alert to danger. Or in a word…
[The One With Unagi]
11) Be sure your eyes aren’t bigger than your stomach.
[The One With The Rumor]
10) You have to celebrate the little victories in life.
Your friends will understand.
[The One With The Embryos]
9)Life’s not a marathon… or a sprint. It’s actually just a kind of mad forward flailing.
[The One Where Phoebe Runs]
8) When inviting guests over to a social occasion, be extra emphatic so they can be certain you really want them to come.
[The One Where Ross Is Fine]
7) See um, lobsters, uhh, in the tank when, when they’re old, uhh, they get with, uhh, they walk around holding the claws. In the tank, ya know, with, with the holding and… um, Phoebs?
[The One With the Prom Video]
6) Often, victory merely demands outlasting your competitors.
[The One With The Football]
5) Learning a second language can be an invaluable career skill. To start, simply oublie du blu le fruit.
[The One Where Joey Speaks French]
4) Knowledge is power.
And more knowledge is more power.
[The One Where Everyone Finds Out]
3)When it comes to revenge, no half-measures.
[The One Where No One’s Ready]
2) There are two ways to count to five.
[The One With Ross’s Tan]
1) All’s well that ends well.
[The Last One]
‘Friends’ is on Comedy Central daily.
By Guy Parsons