Ten years ago today, R Kreepy’s Ignition (Remix) reached #1 in the charts. Take a moment to appreciate its enduring, bouncy legacy…
1) It taught a generation how to party in an easy-to-remember format
Pre-Ignition, people were always heading to the after party before the show, or worse, trying to freak someone before they’d cleared the lobby. No longer!
2) It made us wonder: whatever happened to the un-remixed Ignition?
I’d never heard it, anyway. Well here it is:
And that, my friends, is why the remix is more popular.
3) It became the R&B anthem for white indie kids everywhere
Like this guy, on the acoustic guitar:
Or this guy, on the violin:
Or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, on a stage:
In fact it’s inspired a whole Tumblr, Awkward White People Singing R Kelly.
4) Everytime it gets remixed, we can say “this is the remix to the remix to Ignition”
5) It inspired an Ignition Petition:
Inexplicably, the US government have decided to stick with the Star Spangled Banner.
6) Its lyrics still generate debate to this day
Is it explanation one:
Or explanation two?
It sounds like there’s only one person who can solve this mystery!
7) Bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce.
More tunes needed? Try our guide to the best Get Lucky covers and tributes.