1. Remove the legs from the turkey, debone, stuff and roll them and cook alongside the turkey crown – this keeps the leg meat moist.’
2. ‘Make the gravy base in advance. Use turkey wings, onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, carrots, leeks and celery to make a rich stock.’
3. ‘Buy the right roasting potatoes to get a result that is crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy in the middle. I like King Edwards.’
4. ‘Put some thought into your wine and food combinations. A lighterstyle red Burgundy goes really well with turkey.’
5. ‘Don’t go overboard! You will never run out of food so only cook for the guests you have, not for an army.’
Don’t want to cook it yourself? Go to one of these restaurants open on Christmas day.